Diet Ticker

My Favorite Recipes

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Convenience Foods

Today I thought I would touch on the subject of convenience foods and what that term means to me as I embark on the building a better me journey.

  • Chicken Cutlets - Cannot live without.  I buy these by the lb, and every few days I grill a few up at a time, and dice them.  I always have chicken cutlets available to either munch on or throw in a salad.  Speaking of which.
  • Spinach/Mixed Greens - I scour the supermarket sales periodicals, for who has these PRE-WASHED, PRE-BAGGED veggies on sale.  I then go and buy at least 2 a week
  • Egg whites - are the bane of my existence.  However, I can't afford to constantly buy the container of egg whites, so enter my carton of eggs.  I search the sales, again, and then I go buy at least 4 cartons a week.  At any given moment, you can find me separating eggs for either a simple egg white omelet, my protein pancake, or any other countless recipe I find.  I need my protein and I need it in a way that doesn't introduce a lot of calories, fat, or simple carbohydrates.
  • Baby Carrots - for those days I want potato chips or a cookie, or both.  Or simply to have something in my mouth.
  • Cucumbers - to add bulk to my salad.
  • Reduced Fat Shredded Cheese - for adding additional flavor to the above otherwise boring foods.
  • Whey Protein Powder - I use Designer Whey.  Low in calories and carbs, and high in protein.  Depending on when I drink it, I decide whether to mix with water or reduced fat milk.
  • Old Fashioned Oats - Great for when I need a complex, filling carb.  A spoonful also goes good in my protein shake
  • Natural Peanut Butter - awesome snack. High in protein.  
  • Fat Free Cottage Cheese - same as above.  I use the pineapple flavored.
  • Almonds - quick snack.  High in protein.
  • Frozen Veggies - easily microwaveable/steamable.  Any leftovers can be tossed in a salad, or munched on as a snack.
So, that's what my list of convenience foods look like.  I tend to keep the above on hand.  I like also buying gallon sized zip loc bags.  My mixed greens and spinach gets  tossed into the bag, and every morning (I really should switch to nights), I toss a couple of handfuls in a bowl.  Throw in my extras, and Im good to go.  And, I really pack it in. 

Im striving to really ensure, that I ALWAYS have food on hand so that I wont have to make HARD choices.  There are times, when I just can't get it together, but I won't beat myself up too hard, Im just trying to stay focused, and I know in the long run it will pay off.  Been there, done that, so I know it's possible.

If you're reading this (Rosa), I hope some of my suggestions can be utilized to help make YOUR life a little easier.  After awhile, it'll become second nature, and it'll be easier to make sure you are giving yourself a fair chance.  And, for days, where things don't work out as planned, just try again tomorrow.  Remember, results are always forthcoming.

1 comment:

  1. Great list. You can also try almond butter (I find I like it more than peanut butter because it isn't so sweet). I also have been buying the Cutie oranges because they are so portable. Thank you so much for your kind words. I will keep trying. I will never give up on fitness, though. I actually do enjoy feeling stronger.

    And I will always be reading. Thanks, Friend!

    ReplyDelete